In an effort to create economic opportunities, improve traffic and pedestrian safety, and promote a more sustainable community The City of Gulf Shores is pursuing funding through the U.S. Department of Transportation’s BUILD Grant Program (https://www.transportation.gov/BUILDgrants) for an innovative, multifaceted project that will enhance the quality of life for our residents and visitors.
A Public Involvement Meeting will be held to review this project on February 25, 2021. Please click here for more information.
The Build Grant Project will construct much needed vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian transportation infrastructure. The proposed project includes the construction of:
- Complete streets, including improved vehicular and pedestrian access, throughout the Waterway Village District.
- Improved access to Jack Edwards National Airport and the Gulf Shores Business and Aviation Park.
- A new pedestrian bridge across the Intracoastal Waterway connecting the north and south sides of the Waterway Village District.
- Increased capacity along State HWY 59 by adding an additional southbound lane across the Holmes Bridge and intersection improvements from County Road 6 to Fort Morgan Road.
- Approximately 3 miles of sidewalks within the Waterway Village District.
The Gulf Shores Waterway Village Multimodal Access Project has generated tremendous support from many in our local community to our statewide partners and even from our leadership in Washington D.C.
- ALDOT - Southwest Region
- Governor Kay Ivey
- Representative Steve McMillan
- State Senator Tripp Pittman
- Alabama Coastal Foundation
- Alabama Trails Commission - Phillip West
- Andy Bauer - Director of Planning
- Baldwin County Commission
- Baldwin County HWY Department
- Chad Leonard - Craft Farms
- Coastal Resort Properties
- Delta Bike Project
- Coastal Alabama Business Chamber
- Gulf Shores and Orange Beach Tourism - Herb Malone
- Judge Tim Russell - Baldwin County
- Mayor Charles Murphy - City of Robertsdale
- Mayor David Wilson - Town of Summerdale
- Mayor John Koniar - City of Foley
- Mayor Tony Kennon - City of Orange Beach
- Paul Rotner - ACME Oyster House
- Platinum Air Center
- Vic Roberts - Jack Edwards Airport Authority Chairman
- Baldwin County Sherriff Mack
- Chief of Police - Edward Delmore
- South Baldwin Regional Medical Center