The Gulf Shores Library is open!
Open Mon - Fri 10am - 6pm with social distancing
Policies & Services
- Our free Wi-Fi is available 24/7. After hours, you can access this service from our parking lot. Look for GS Library in your WiFi settings. No password is required.
- Use our public internet access terminals for an unlimited number of 45 minute sessions per day. The library computer lab automatically closes 15 minutes prior to the library closing.
- We offer printing from the computer lab and a photocopier for your use starting at $0.15 per page.
- We can scan documents to your email free of charge.
- You can obtain more information by downloading our brochure.
Free cards are available to:
- All full-time residents of Baldwin County, children and adults, with proper ID and a valid mailing address.
- Children under 16 need a parent or guardian present when applying for their card.
- Visitors who present a valid picture ID and a home mailing address.
- Apply online here for your library card.
- If you cannot come in person to the library, you can get access to electronic books through Libby. You only need your phone number to authenticate this online card.
Already Have a Card
- Your Patron ID is your library card number.
- Your PIN number is the last 4 digits of your library card number. (When you receive your card the last four digits are placed in your record as your PIN. You do not have to make a PIN.)
- You may need your library card number and PIN to access some of our online resources.
- Check your patron account here.
- Wendy Congiardo, Managing Librarian
- Deanne, Youth Services Librarian (Interim)
- Julie, Technical Services Librarian
- Sherry, Serials Librarian
- Melody, Circulation Supervisor
- Lisa and Lisa, Library Clerks
Beginning in the early 1950s, Gulf Shores citizens, with attention from the Gulf Shores Woman’s Club, began working toward the creation of a library for the city. Countless fundraisers later, the Thomas B. Norton library is a thriving resource for residents and visitors alike. The facility is user friendly, with a wide array of programs and resources to help readers accomplish their objectives, whether it be research, schoolwork or reading for pleasure.
The Friends of the Library Club was instrumental in getting the library started; through their efforts funds were raised and money was allocated from the Baldwin County library fund. From those early days, the library has grown and flourished and as modern technology has improved, remote access to the library’s tools and catalog has become amazingly easy.
Today, Thomas B. Norton Library offers access to our full catalog as well as to assistance with technology research and a host of special programs, including story time for children.
Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Library Group was officially organized in 1972. Prior to the official formation of the club, members of the Gulf Shores Women’s Club worked diligently to secure a library for the city. They worked from 1953-1971 to raise funds, starting small with a swap of books program and building until 1964 when they city qualified for $1000 of Baldwin County Library funds. In 1965, the Gulf Shores Library opened with 300 books.
For years, the Friends prepared and sold turkey dinners as a fundraising project. The money was used to purchase books, shelves, clocks and special materials. Different projects progressed from the turkey dinners to an annual Dessert / Card Party Raffle.
Currently, the Friends host an ongoing book sale within the Library. They offer a variety of recent used books and magazines at very reasonable prices.
Annual membership dues for the Friends of the Library Club are currently set at $10. For more information, please inquire at the library.